Friday, February 3, 2012

A Generous Gift

HOME received a letter the other day, along with a check for $100. The generous donor was more than 90 years old and because of his experiences as a homeless teenager, he wanted to help some of today’s youth. Here is what the letter said:
“I wanted to send a check to HOME Youth and Resource Center. Once upon a time, I became homeless. Getting an education was the answer for me. I am now 93 years old and living well. 
At age 17, I was homeless. Please use this check where it is most needed.” 
Two things come to mind with this gift. One is that being a homeless teen is not unique to the current generation, although many people seem to feel that it is. Sometimes, when we go speak to community groups, there are people in the audience who say things such as, “we didn’t need or have places like yours when I was growing up.” They have trouble accepting the fact that there are youth that do not have a safe place to go and that this has always been the case.
The other thing that comes to mind is how many people, regardless of age, understand the value of services such as HOME. Often this is due to their own experiences as they grew up or they know of a teen that has experienced abuse, neglect or homelessness. Quite often we hear from these folks, “I wish there had been a place like HOME when I (or my child/niece/friend’s child/etc.) was growing up. My (their) life might have been easier.”

No comments:

Post a Comment